Friday, May 15, 2015

DNF

Recently, I was reading an article by Paul Magnanti about "failures" he encounters by not reaching his goals on hikes or runs. The article began by recounting a DNF of the Trans Adirondack Trail. That got me thinking ...
     Admittedly, I didn't read all of the rest of the article--just scanned it--and I might have missed this thought. His premise seemed to be about "getting back on the horse after you fall off" if you've had a "failure."
     I think I can honestly say that I have never had a "failure" in backpacking or hiking. A-ha! you say, that's because you've never done anything challenging ... well, maybe that's true, or maybe it's because my goals in backpacking are different.
     The past three of four years I have completed a few 40-mile sections of the AT, a 39-mile section of the PCT, and, in a couple of weeks, I'll attack another 40-mile section of the AT. That's not really a comparison to the 275-mile Trans Adirondack Trail, you say; however, keep in mind that I'm an old man and, therefore, my goals are somewhat different.
     My goal, whether I'm hiking in the Sipsey Wilderness, on the AT, or on the PCT, is to get the best wilderness experience that I can possibly get. Sometimes I my trip doesn't live up to what I imagined it would be because it rains a lot, sometimes the chiggers or mosquitos are thick, sometimes I hike too far because I'm chasing water sources. Nevertheless, my trip is never a "failure." I'm always really glad to be in the woods. My feeling has always been in line with that old cliche, a bad day in the woods is better than the best day in the office.
   

No comments: